Monday, July 25, 2005

They may have won the battle but...

I made a trip to St. Louis this Saturday to catch the Cards/Cubs game. Going in it was a dream come true.

  • Cards vs. Cubs in Busch Stadium
  • Cards have a 14 game lead over the Cubs
  • Matt Morris (11-2) vs. Jerome Williams (Recently in AAA)
  • I am carrying a two year long (about 15 game) Cardinals winning streak in games I attend.
  • I have seen about ten Cubs game and one seen them win once ever.
So, its' in the bag right? Morris went into his usual day game form and gave up three dingers. Pujols had a chance to win it in the bottom of the ninth and hit the ball as hard as he could right into Todd Walker's glove for a double play. So I ended up sitting four hours in the 100 degree weather to see a Cubs win.

Then last night the Cubs win another close one. There will be a lot of second guessing La Russa for walking Lee and Ramirez but I have no problem with it at all. If I could put the game in Neifi Perez's hands every day I will do it and when he comes through I will tip my hat.

The good news:
  • The Cards won on Friday night on a heart stopping walk-off suicide squeeze.
  • Despite dropping the series the Cards are still 12 up over the Cubs and 11 back over the Astros.
  • The weather is always nice in San Diego, where the Cardinals play this week. Game one is Woody Williams against his replacement Mulder.
On the ESPN broadcast La Russa said he was hoping for both Rolen and Sanders to be ready to go September 1st. He likes to play that trick since it allows him to set his playoff rosters after the deadline since players come off the DL in September. That would give Rolen an entire month to rest and rehab. The Cards NEED both of these guys for the playoffs, especially if Jocketty does not make a move for outfield help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home